Tuesday, December 02, 2008

These Memories Can't Wait


I'm doing a lot of work with Adobe LiveCycle at the moment. If you want to run it, you need 2 gigabytes of RAM which I have on my laptop, but then I can't do anything else. Specifically, I'd have to run Windows natively rather than as a VMWare image.

So, I've bought a 4Gb RAM upgrade from Crucial (£42), not from Apple (£196) and I've installed it. 4Gb is as much RAM as you can put in a MacBook Pro and it is as much RAM as any 32bit operating system can handle.

The picture shows the RAM usage after a day's work with it. The important part of the picture is the bit that says zero page outs. This means that I never got to the point of using all the RAM.

Today, things didn't go quite so well. My VMWare image blue screened. It's the first time I've ever seen Windows XP do that. I took a screen shot to preserve it for posterity.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?