Sunday, August 06, 2006

Integration Hell

Well WWDC is coming up and as usual there are lots of rumours flying around about what Apple is going to announce there. One of these rumours involves the iPhone. The iPhone is an iPos that is also a mobile phone that Apple is supposed to be developing, although, of course, nobody actually knows, they are just guessing.

Call me a luddite, but I am absolutely against the ridiculous trend towards integrating all your hand held devices into one brick. For a start, if your iPod-phone-camera breaks or gets lost or stolen, that's your whole holiday ruined. At least with my current situation, if one item breaks, I still have the other two.

A more serious issue is the problem of security restrictions. If I could get a phone without a camera, I would, because it can't be long before the customers I work for figure out that a camera-phone is a horrible security risk and start banning them from being taken into their offices. Having to leave my mobile phone in reception would be a disaster.

A variation on the above is the reason why an MP3 player-phone is such a bad idea. Can you imagine going on holiday with your whole record collection (I do now with my iPod) on your brand new iPod-iPhone only to be told that you can't even switch it on during the flight?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?