Monday, June 19, 2006

Station X

On Saturday, Sara and I visited Bletchley Park as a birthday treat for me. It was a fun day out and worth £10 of anybody's money.

Highlights of the day were viewing the Colossus rebuild, meeting Tony Sale who rebuilt it and being given a tour by Jean Valentine who was a bombe operator at Bletchley Park during the War. There was also a computer museum full of old microcomputers and stuff including several models that were owned by me or my family.

Incredibly, since Bletchley Park housed one of the Second World War's most important units, the Trust receives no public funding to maintain the site. The whole thing is run purely on gate receipts, donations and income from the shop. They also rent out parts of the site to various geeky clubs in the area such as the local Model Railway Society which makes for some eclectic exhibitions.

Comments:
I personally thought the model boat club the most geeky!! But seriously we all enjoyed our visit, especially we oldies who could remember some of the very old computers. Not many bloggers had their own in 1979! Definitely a must on the nerds day out list! PS I have a friend who worked with Alan Turing - does that qualify me for a lame claim to fame?
 
Prsumably that was because they've just finished building the replica bombe. I missed Jean on Breakfast News but I did hear her on the Today programme on Radio 4.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?