Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Take the first exit at the first roundabout and the second exit at the second roundabout.

Christmas present of the year was my Dad's new Sat Nav unit (apart from my brother's new telescope). It was so impressive at navigating us to PC World that we all decided we must have one. The fact that I was able to post a link to the Amazon page for it should be a big clue that I do now have mine.

Anyway, I decided to test it last night. Being a bit worried that it might get me lost I chose to let it navigate me home.

It turned out to be useless! I have previously blogged about the amount of roadworks on my normal route home last summer and to summarise, since the Sat Nav's maps were published a completely new roundabout has appeared on the approach to Arborfield, the main junction in Arborfield has been replaced with a massive new roundabout and the double mini-roundabout where the A327 crosses the M4 into Reading has been replaced with an enormous single roundabout. The last of these is extremely serious because the nice lady, Jane, tells you to take the first exit here which sends you off to the A33 instead of towards my house and lots of "turn around as soon as possible" advice.

I gave Jane another chance this morning to get me to work. This was more successful as I was forewarned about the new roundabouts. The only problem was that there is a little road between the A30 and Fleet which Jane (and Autoroute strangely) refused to acknowledge the existence of. When I refused to listen to Jane's advice to turn right on the A30 and instead crossed over and took the route, she did manage to recalculate it correctly.

Tonight I might see if I can navigate to Sara's house. I've only been there about a thousand times, so the Sat Nav will help.

Comments:
Do you work in or around Fleet then? If so I'm not far from you.
 
If you're going to call yours Jane I shall have to call mine Jeremy!!
Shame he talks with a girls voice!!

ttfn
jane
 
Jane is the name the manufacturer applied to the voice.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?