Sunday, January 16, 2005

Cautionary tale

Nothing to blog about for months and then loads of things come up at once. I found a link to the Woolamaloo Gazette whilst surfing Alan Saunder's Blog and I think it deserves posting.

Firstly, it is a cautionary tale for bloggers everywhere to be careful about what you post. I've often read blogs and thought "hmm, if that person ever reads this, you're in trouble". Some people seem to have a blind spot.: they think people they know won't ever read their blogs.

Secondly, although I think Waterstones might have a point (I've never read any of the comments that got this person fired so I cannot judge them), they have handled the situation dreadfully. If somebody has done something wrong, the best thing to do first is have a quiet word with them straight away to see if they'll stop. Nobody gets fired, nobody gets bad publicity and the problem is resolved. The whole story demonstrates an incredible lack of respect for their employees.

Thus it is with regret that I must now withdraw my custom from the Waterstones who previously would have relieved me of a couple of hundred pounds a year. It's actually the only decent bookshop in Reading now that W H Smiths have turned half of their book department into a coffee shop. I suppose I can still go in their and browse (immediately after my coffee, jam doughnut and sticky chocolate cake from Smiths) but then buy the books from Amazon.

Comments:
Not having a Waterstones I can't boycott it. But I will certainly make a point of doing so if I had the chance.

It's probably worth contacting Waterstones to let them know of your decision. I'm sure theyd like to know.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?