Tuesday, August 31, 2004

XP SP2 update

I spoke slightly too soon.

So far "Medieval: Total War" refused to work unless you are logged in as administrator. Their tech support staff said "you must be logged in as an admin user to play this game". It's currently in a strong first place for my Brain Dead software award for September because of this. Bizarrely, after I ran it once in admin mode, it started behaving properly and is now back to normal.

Norton Antivirus is also broken. At least, Live Update stalls while querying the Symantec database. I think a reinstall may fix it.

Most bizarrely, I added my user id back into the Administrators group and... it didn't work. I mean my user id was clearly there in the group, but it couldn't do any of the admin tasks. Unfortunately, when Windows noticed another user in the Administrators group, it removed "Administrator" from the login screen. The only way to restore things to normal was to log in remotely as Admin (you get a dialog box into which you can type the Administrator account name) and remove my normal user from the Administrators group.

Comments:
If you press Ctrl-Alt-Del twice in a row at the Welcome screen, it will give you a text login
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?