Friday, August 27, 2004

Service Pack 2

Yes, I've upgraded now that M$ finally brought it out for XP Pro. I took the plunge in spite of dire warnings from Keith that it would break all my applications. So far nothing is broken that wasn't already broken although I haven't played any of my games since the upgrade. (I'm kind of hoping that Doom 3 is irretrievably nadgered because I've only played about one level (in recruit mode) and it is the scariest game ever. Apart from the usual medkits, you get "instant medical stations" which zap your health up. They also display your heart rate and I noticed on one that mine was 84 - in real actual life outside the game it was probably 120.)

The only irritating thing I've noticed is that I get a little icon in systray telling me that a) my firewall is broken (actually it is switched off because I have another real one) and b) automatic updates are misconfigured (actually they are set to not install automatically because I prefer to know what is on my machine).

Brain Dead Software


I've decided to institute an prize which I will be awarding occasionally called "Brain Dead Software of the Month". This month it goes to Nikon Capture 4 which refuses to run unless it has write access to the root of one of your hard disk drives. This is bad news for anybody who (like me) uses a main log in id which isn't in the Administrator group and prefers not to give ordinary users access to things they're not allowed. Well done Nikon. Your prize is a free link from my blog.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?