Monday, June 21, 2004

Parenthood

Spent the weekend at Mum and Dad's with my friend Sara. I told Sara about their swimming pool. Sara said it was going to be too cold to swim. I said the edge of Suffolk has a microclimate and would be boiling hot. Sara didn't believe me.

I wore my new tee shirt which had the opposite of the desired effect in that a) Dad's PC wouldn't install Norton Antivirus and b) Mum's PC couldn't see Dad's PC or laptop on their home network and "can you fix it pleeeeeaaasssse or don't have any food this weekend - it's your choice". Fortunately both problems were duly solved.

The NAV problem was fixed by converting all the FAT32 file systems to NTFS (why the WinXP upgrade doesn't do that is beyond me - the whole process is quick and painless even for the system drive) and deleting all evidence of previous failed installs from the registry (boy was I glad the PC successfully booted even after hacking the registry for 20 mins). The networking problem turned out to be because Dad's PC and the laptop had somehow been set to use DHCP which was unfortunate what with the lack of DHCP servers on their home network.

The microclimate was best described as "biting". I did go for a swim but, although the water was warm, it was best to keep totally immersed to avoid getting frostbite on the areas of skin exposed to the air. Sara whimped out.

Comments:
All obviously didn't go entirely to plan then I gather - hence the use of naughty sweary words in front of your Dad. Was it the fixification of technical gubbins or the chilliness of the water which caused such a word to emanate from you?
 
The swear word emanated between the failed attempt to install NAV after changing to NTFS and the deletion of all Symantec registry keys.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?