Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Adult Oxymoron

I was travelling back from Northampton today listening to my radio station of choice. In fact, I thought my car only had two stations - press FM for BBC Radio 4 and AM for BBC Radio 5 Live. I was surprised and amazed the other day when my passenger pressed one of the numbered button and got a different station apparently called "Virgin". It seems there are hundreds of them (radio stations, not virgins, not that there aren't hundreds of virgins too, otherwise what would dragons eat?).

I was listening to Making History and they had an article on HM Stanley, best known for presuming Doctor Livingstone. Henry Livingstone had an interesting life and it started by being born to what Sue Cook called an "amateur prostitute". A prostitute has sex for money, let's not beat about the bush, but an amateur is somebody who does whatever they do unpaid. As soon as you accept money you are regarded as professional - at least in the days of amateur Olympics and Rugby Union you were.

According to the Stanley biographer they interviewed, he actually did say "Doctor Livingstone, I presume". It's nice to see one of these legends turn out true.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?