Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Spam

Well. OK since I said this blog would be about spam, I guess I'd better say something about it.

I have an e-mail address from easynet which I obtained 10 years ago as a result of getting my first Internet account. This e-mail address currently gets quite a lot of spam. I cleared 90 messages out of my inbox this morning.

I don't really use the said e-mail address. i'm just keeping it for experimenting on spam. The ISP redirects it all to an account at jeremyp.net which I then redirect to a sendmail server running on my firewall. This server is currently set to deny access to mail from senders with unresolvable domains, from senders at hotmail and also has a mail filter (which I wrote myself) that looks for the Easynet RBL warning header and rejects the message if that exists too. These three measures alone reject about 200 messages per day. Of course, there may be false positives, but nobody I know uses that address anymore.

The next stage is to write a Bayesian filter that plugs in to the sendmail milter API. I think that's some way off though.


Link
Comments:
Hi Jeremy.

So you too succumbed to the lure of the blog :)
Yes SPAM I must say that it is the bane of my existance every bloody day, day after day, dumping rubbish spam mail; surely it's about time that the major ISP's did something about it.

Anywasy I will be back to see how you handle the filtering side of your mail

keep the faith
http://godorevolution.blogspot.com
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?